Did you know that there are more than 2,000 different types of edible mushrooms on our glorious planet?
There are some that are perfect for Sunday brunch, whacky ones that will probably take you off the planet, and the medicinal kind.
In this blog we will be talking about the kind that have been used for thousands of years to prevent and cure different diseases, hence the name 'medicinal'.
Medicinal mushrooms are nutritional powerhouses with a whole stack of benefits including:
- Immune support
- Anti-oxidant rich
- Support brain health and cognition
- Supporting the nervous system
- Increase energy and stamina
- Balancing blood sugar levels
- Preventing cancer
In recent decades, they've been popularised in the west in the health food circles.
In our opinion that's often a good thing because it means we get access to these ancient healing foods.
A great documentary to watch about the power of mushrooms is called 'Fantastic Fungi' and it is available to watch on Netflix. It's a great fascinating watch and will definitely give you more gratitude for even the humble everyday shroom.
We recently found a supplier in Samford Valley that locally and sustainably grows these kinds of mushrooms. We were super excited to give them a try and help you experience the benefits too.
They come in extract form and can used medicinally as drops straight in the mouth or under the tongue, or you can put drops of it in your coffee, cacao or smoothies!
Currently we're stocking the Reishi, Lion's Mane, Turkey Tail and Pearl Oyster varieties.
Here is a small list of some of the most popular mushrooms and what they're good for - so if you are wanting an extra boost or in need of something more... see which mushy works for you and give it a go!
- Reishi: Liver, Balance, Calm, Support
- Lion's Mane: Brain Function, Nerve Repair, Memory, Focus, Sleep
- Cordyceps: The King of Medicinal Mushrooms
- Turkey Tail: Immunity, Anti-Inflammatory, Gut-Health
- Shiitake: Weight management, Immune Function, Cardiovascular Health, Anti-Microbial
- Pearl Oyster: Anti-Viral, Immune Booster, Antioxidants, Anti-Inflammatory