Hey, Herb Lovers!
Today, we're diving into the wonderful world of basil – not just a tasty addition to your spaghetti but a superhero in the herb kingdom! You know how basil can take your pasta from 'meh' to 'wow,' but did you know it's also a health ninja? And hey, for our cool customers who want the inside scoop on going organic – stick around.
Basil: Not Just Good, but Good for You!
Basil isn't your average herb; it's like a tiny health wizard in your kitchen:
- Antioxidant Magic: Basil is loaded with antioxidants, keeping your skin glowing and your body thanking you.
- Anti-Inflammatory Chill Pill: Ever wish you had a superhero cape to combat inflammation? Basil's your sidekick, potentially easing those achy joints.
- Nutrient Boost: This green hero brings vitamin K, iron, calcium, and magnesium to the party – your body's way of saying "thanks for the love!"
- Stress-Be-Gone: Basil might just be your chill-out buddy, helping your body handle stress like a boss. Who knew?
The Lowdown on Pesticides: Why Organic is the Cool Kid
Now, about those not-so-great party crashers in conventional farming – pesticides. They sneak into our food, uninvited. Organic herbs, though? They're like the VIPs of the herb world – no nasty chemicals allowed. Choosing organic isn't just about you; it's about supporting farms that treat the earth right.
So, why go organic?
Organic herbs are the cool, carefree rebels of the herb patch. No synthetic pesticides or weird GMOs here – just good vibes and good flavour.
Cooking Up a Storm: Fresh Basil Pesto Recipe
Now that we're best pals with basil and embracing the organic groove, let's cook up some magic in the kitchen. Drumroll, please – presenting the easiest ever Fresh Basil Pesto recipe ever:
- 2 cups fresh organic or spray-free basil leaves
- 1/2 cup freshly grated organic Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup organic pine nuts or walnuts, toasted
- 3 organic garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup organic extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshly grated organic Pecorino Romano cheese (optional)
- Prepare the Basil: Wash the fresh basil leaves and pat them dry. Make sure to remove any tough stems.
- Toast the Nuts: In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the pine nuts or walnuts until they are lightly golden. This enhances their flavour. Keep a close eye on them to prevent burning.
- Combine Ingredients in a Food Processor: In a food processor, combine the basil, toasted nuts, grated Parmesan cheese, peeled garlic cloves, salt, and black pepper.
- Pulse to Coarse Texture: Pulse the ingredients a few times until they form a coarse mixture.
- Stream in Olive Oil: With the food processor running, slowly stream in the olive oil until the pesto reaches a smooth consistency. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl with a spatula to ensure everything is well incorporated.
- Adjust Seasoning: Taste the pesto and adjust the salt and pepper according to your preference.
- Optional: Add Pecorino Romano: If you like a sharper flavor, you can add freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese and pulse to combine.
- Store or Serve: Transfer the pesto to a jar or airtight container. You can refrigerate it for immediate use or freeze it for longer storage.
We love this basil tossed through some Pasta'Bah Spaghetti or Potato Gnocchi, and on toasted Sourdough with poached Echo Valley Eggs! Yummo.
In a nutshell, basil isn't just for topping your pizza; it's a kitchen superhero. And going organic? It's like giving your taste buds a VIP pass to the good stuff. So, here's to cooking, laughing, and savouring every bite. Cheers to basil, cheers to you!