With the cooler mornings and nights we are currently experiencing in Brisbane. Thought this would be a good recipe to share if you are looking for a way to use the rhubarb we have available this week;
Rhubarb, Ginger and Vanilla Compte Recipe
- Bunch of rhubarb (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1 orange (rind finely grated, then remainder of orange juiced)
- 5cm piece of ginger (finely grated)
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla bean paste (or extract
- Combine all ingredients (excl vanilla) in a large pot.
- Heat to medium-high and stir occasionally until rhubarb begins to break down completely (approx 8mins).
- Remove from heat, stir in vanilla bean paste (or extract), and allow to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate and use as desired.
Look for a bunch of rhubarb with crisp, bright-coloured stems or better yet, order yours from us as we'll do this for you.
For tasty muffins, add finely chopped rhubarb and chopped pear to a basic sweet muffin batter and bake.
Did you know... Rhubarb provides dietary fibre and some vitamin C.